“A Burst of First”
Class 1-1 Mrs. Santamaria
Welcome to the first grade homework page, it’s going to be a great year full of new friends, new adventures, and new discoveries.
Week of Monday, November 11, 2019 – Friday, November 15, 2019
School Hours 8:00a.m. – 3:00p.m.
Schedule for Weekly Specials: *All specials subjects or activities are subject to change without notice
- Monday – In-Class Computers & Spanish
- Tuesday – Art
- Wednesday – Innovation Lab & gym
- Thursday – Music
Important Reminders of the week:
- 11/12 Daily Home Reading Homework Logs due: Tuesday – Part of the homework grade is for your child to read at least 15 minutes a day. I am asking that you input the estimate amount of time in minutes that your child reads daily and initial the reading log every night.
- Unit 3b Spelling words at a glance: candle, little, pickle, bubble, how, do, a, show, have, me
- November Reading Responses -Two reading response activity sheets are Tuesday 11/26. Your child may select two reading response activity sheets of their choice. Please be sure they choose appropriate kind of reading responses (fiction or nonfiction).
- Math Nightly Homework Routine: Students are expected to be responsible for completing their homework each night and retuning it the next day. If you ever have any questions while working with your child, please jot a note on the homework assignment and send it in. Some students are quite responsible and will take to this routine very easily while others will need more help. Study and review math flash cards to improve fluency in math facts for 10-15 minutes a day. (+ and -) Have children practice identifying both symbols for adding (-) and subtracting (-) this is key for good old-fashion practice. It probably goes without saying that students need ample practice if they are to build any skill, whether it’s reading or math. Flash cards can be bought in stores like Dollar Tree, Target, convenient $1 Stores and in 5 Below.
- IXL Website for first grade: I am pleased to tell you that we will be using a website called IXL in our classroom this year. IXL is a comprehensive learning program unlimited to math, language arts, science, and social studies practice across thousands of skills–all of which are aligned to New York Standards. To get you started on your home computer, I have provided each child with their username and password. The username and password has been submitted in your child’s folder, please keep it safe. The program is adaptive and will adjust based on your child’s demonstrated understanding of the material. All of your child’s results will be saved, so you can monitor his or her progress anytime by clicking analytics. I will like to see the children work both at school and at home. For on-the-go practice, you can download IXL’s free tablet apps for iPad, Android, or Kindle and sign in your child’s username and password. https://www.ixl.com/
- November Scholastic Book Orders due this: Friday 11/15
- Friday 11/15 Nut Card Day! Pie Orders due today!
Click below for both school calendar and weekly updated homework
*Please click link above on document of ways to help your child
UPCOMING EVENTS FOR NOVEMBER:
*Please check often as schedules are subject to change.
- Saturday and Sunday 11/9 and 11/10 Pledge a Turkey Day
- Veteran’ s Day 11/11 -School Closed
- Veteran’s Day Assembly – Tuesday 11/12 at 1:30 in school gym, American Flags due!
- 11/15 Friday NUT CARD Day and Cabaret Night at 7:pm in school gym!
- Saturday and Sunday 11/16 and 11/17 Pledge a Turkey Day
- 11/21 Pizza Orders due
- 11/22 $1 Dress Down Day and Pizza Sale Friday!
- 11/23 Saturday Family Mass at HCJ Church
- 11/23 Pie Sale Pick Up
- 11/27 Wednesday -Thanksgiving Early 1:00 Dismissal! No after school and No clubs!
- 11/28 and 11/29 Thursday and Friday School Closed: Happy Thanksgiving!