Below is your supply list. Please have the supplies in by the 2nd day of school.
5th Grade E.L.A. Summer Work 2020-2021
Dear Parents and Guardians,
We at Holy Child Jesus Catholic Academy believe in instilling a lifelong love of reading. With that in mind the incoming 5th grade students will need to read the following books this summer.
Wonder by R.J. Palacio
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L’Engle
Please have your incoming 5th grader record the titles and authors of these books in their book reports. The information that their book report needs to include is included on the following sheet. All information is to be handwritten on loose leaf. Both book reports are to have a cover illustrated by the student. Both book reports are required by the first day of school in September.
Book Report Questions
- In the first paragraph of the book report identify and either underline or italicize the book title. Identify the author of the book. Give the publication date of the book. This is a good place in the report to give any background information about the author and/or book such as awards the book or its author has received.
- Characters: Identify the main characters. Who is the protagonist? (Main character that is a good person even if flawed.) Who is the Antagonist? (Main character or force of evil) Briefly describe the protagonist in terms of appearance, traits, and actions. What qualities does the character possess? What weaknesses? Does the character grow in the story? If so how?
- Setting and Plot can be combined. Setting: where and when does the story take place? Plot: list the series of three key events, which sum up the story line of the plot. Try to limit this to fifty words or less. For example: This book is a story about_________________________who does__________________for the purpose of__________________. In the climax_______________________________finally___________________.
- Theme: What is the theme for this book? What one message sums it up? Is there a piece of advice the author is telling the reader? Does the author make a comment about our culture or society? What do you learn from this book?
- Evaluate which element theme or plot was stronger in this story. Explain why you have concluded this.
Our School’s Mission Statement:
Holy Child Jesus Catholic Academy creates an environment where our students achieve their God-given potential in order to become well-educated and faith-filled citizens of the 21st century.
2020-2021 Tuition Assistance Information:
Window for returning parents to apply is January 13th- March 31st. Click the link for flyer: